Call for Application
The Catholic Scholarship Programme wishes to announce that it is accepting scholarship applications for the (2018/2019) academic year. Interested applicants are invited to request an Application Form from the CSP office at the University of Kisubi.
The Catholic Scholarship Programme was established to contribute to building the capacity of the Church by developing servant leaders who will contribute to developing leadership within congregations and communities and the apostolic works and the Church. The Programme seeks to achieve this goal by providing eligible sisters, brothers, priests and lay persons working with and for the Church with access to higher education and leadership training. Preference will be given to women religious and local congregations.
- Catholic Religious sisters, brothers and priests who can demonstrate leadership traits and potential may be nominated by their Congregational or Diocesan superior.
- Laypersons may be nominated by a Catholic institution (e.g., Diocesan and Caritas offices) if they meet the following requirements: (1) evidence of full-time employment with the nominating institution for at least three consecutive years and (2) holds a leadership position in the nominated organization.
- Only students who are starting a course of study are eligible; a student in an on-going course of study is not allowed to apply for a scholarship.
- The total number of scholarships awarded annually depends on the availability of funds.
- There will be no age restriction; however, the scholar should show that he or she will be able to provide service and leadership for a period of time in a manner comparable to the investment made.
- An applicant who is not accepted on his or her first application is not barred from submitting an application in a subsequent year. However, if an applicant is not successful after three submissions, he or she will no longer be eligible.
- A scholar is not eligible to receive a tuition scholarship if he or she is a recipient of another tuition scholarship for the same course of study.
- Scholarships are given to scholars who live in Uganda.
- Qualifying institutions of higher education are listed below:
University of Kisubi, Makerere University, Kyambogo University, Nkumba University, Makerere Business School, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Gulu University, Uganda Martyrs University, Uganda Christian University and Queen of Apostles Institute Jinja
10. Specific Course of Study:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree and Post-graduate Diploma. Note that eligibility for a Master’s degree or Post-graduate diploma is possible only following a minimum of two years of work and/or service from the date of graduation.
- Diploma. Note that this course of study is limited to women religious with a preference for local congregations. A congregation may submit a maximum of two applications for diplomas annually.
- Certificate. Note that this course of study is limited to women religious with a preference for local congregations. A congregation may submit a maximum of two applications for certificates annually.
Fields of study will be limited to those that support:
Scholarships will be available to students enrolling in the Faculty of Education of qualifying institutions. Available courses may include Post Graduate Degree in Education, Master of Higher Education Management and Development, Master of Education Management and Planning, Education Science, Bachelor of Science in Education, Bachelor of Arts in Education, Bachelor of Education, Diploma in Secondary Education, Diploma in Education Diploma in Teacher Education, Diploma in Psychology and Counselling.
2.Building just societies
Scholarships will be available to students enrolling in the Faculty of Law, Departments or Faculty of Philosophy, Religious Studies, Gender and Development, Community Development. Available courses may include Masters in Law, Bachelors in Law, Masters in Social Work, Bachelor of Arts in Social Work, Master in Philosophy, Bachelors in Peace Studies and International Relations, Master in Peace Studies, Bachelor of Nursing.
3.Effective congregational/Church management and leadership
Scholarships will be available to students studying finance, administration, management, and economics and enrolling in the Faculty of Business of qualifying institutions. Available courses may include a Masters in Business Management, Masters in Human Resources Management, Masters in Finance and Corporate Management, Bachelors Business Administration, Diploma Business Administration, Diploma in accountancy.
Primary award/Selection Criteria:
- Academic achievement
- Experience and/or potential for leadership
- Participation in service related activities in the community, congregation, etc.
- Work history
- Achievements (academic, professional, congregational)
Applications for the Catholic Scholarship Programme open on 1st March each year. The deadline for receiving applications is 15th May of each year.
Terms and Conditions:
- The scholarship award is partial and will include only tuition fees and administrative costs and fees for the entire duration of the course of study.
- The scholar will also receive a contribution to be used at his or her discretion to cover additional expenses such as books, research, and travel. The contribution is:
- Certificate UGX 694,619.00/-
- Diploma UGX 868,274.00/-
- Bachelors UGX 1,041,930.00/-
- Master’s UGX 1,215,580.00/-
- All expenses related to boarding, medical, and other expenses should be covered by the scholar. Applicants should demonstrate the ability to pay the balance of their study costs without the need to interrupt their studies.
- Participation in designated Leadership Courses are mandatory and will be undertaken during long breaks, holidays or other designated times. The courses will include Servant Leadership; Child Protection, Catholic Social Teaching and Professional Management Skills.
- Each applicant must be attested to by at least two persons in leadership positions, inclusive or his/her superior. The scholar and sponsor must also demonstrate a willingness for the scholar to engage in a leadership role following his or her studies.
- Lay applicants must be nominated by their employer and enter into a binding agreement for a minimum of two years with the same following his or her graduation.
- Successful candidates are notified by e-mail of their selection or declination by 15th August of each year.
Important information and Frequently Asked Questions about the scholarship
For more information on the Catholic Scholarship Programme, please contact the Scholarship office at the addresses provided below:
CATHOLIC SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME FOR UGANDA
C.O. Kisubi Brothers University College
P.O. Box 182
Telephone: +256 777 606093