Transformative Education and Faith (TEF)
In 2010, the late Sr. Cecilia Nibyobyonka left Kisubi Brothers University College now University of Kisubi (Unik) and embarked on training of Formators Transformative Spiritual Leadership and Faith Development (TSLFD) in Jinja in search of a place that could house the programme, after six months the program was she shifted to St. Augustine Nsambya to allow the participants to complete the formation course meant for Nine (9) months but due to the challenge of space, they had to again move to Namugongo Spiritual Formation Center and that is where the participants completed the 9 months training in TSLEFD.
The Programme of Transformative Education and Faith (TEF) was developed as an extension of a (TSLFD) held in 2011, 2012, and 2013. TEF is an answer to the expressed needs of the participants of TSLED who requested a longer period aimed at an in-depth study of the courses offered during those years. The Programme of Transformative Education and Faith is open to both religious men, women, clergy and lay students. Religious men, women, clergy and laity are expected to develop, through this Programme, practical psycho-social skills and a spirituality that will lead to a faith based life for a just and peaceful world for integral human development.
Uganda Martyrs University was then identified as a potential higher Institution of learning that could take up the TEF training programme, and so UMU had an MoU with ARU for a period of Five (5) years as ARU looked forward to getting their own space for the training of the Consecrated Women in TEF programme.
The Programme of Transformative Education and Faith (TEF) exists to provide sound Biblical, Theological knowledge and practical psycho-social skills in order to promote in its students a faith-based life oriented to the creation of a just and peaceful world for integral human development.
The Programme of Transformative Education and Faith (TEF) inspire its students to form themselves intellectually and personally and to prepare for meaningful and ethical work in a multicultural, global society. Working together with passion and commitment, we foster learning, broaden knowledge, and enrich culture through spiritual formation, scholarship and creative expression.
TEF was planned to fill gaps and complement the spiritual growth of our society. The product of the programme will guide both the religious and the laity on how to face challenges of the modern society. The courses of the programme will also serve the needs of the Christian laity in due time by offering quality education and practical life skills. The aim is to nourish learners’ personal growth, maturation and acquisition of knowledge and new life skill that will create opportunities for future expansion of personal capabilities. This enables learners to courageously respond to people’s condition of poverty, illness from AIDS and hopelessness of people living with HIV and to fight growing social corruption, violence, human trafficking, and threats to family stability – all that threatens societal peace. Learners will be able to transfer their knowledge to community. When well-educated and informed, the laity and consecrated persons form a potential cadre to play an exceedingly important part of positive influence in communities.
Philosophy of the programme
The Programme of Transformative Education and Faith (TEF) is founded on an educational philosophy which embraces a search for truth, the development of the whole person, and the synthesis of faith with learning, theory with practice. Consequently, the curriculum focuses on content and processes which deepen the students’ knowledge of theology, scripture and the social sciences that enhance skills for analysis and critical thinking, and provide opportunities for reflection on and integration of Gospel values in light of today’s social, political, moral, pastoral, economic and spiritual realities. While this diploma program is intense, students will have easier access to a Bachelor Degree because some credits may be transferable toward that degree.
Objectives of TEF
- To engage students in practical ways of critical thinking and in the acquisition of skills of analysis of issues for transformation and spiritual conversation;
- To awaken in the students a sound biblical perception of the realities in the contemporary world
- To offer new opportunities to students to acquire sound human and theological knowledge guided by Gospel values;
- To help students learn and develop skills of transformative organizational leadership in communities and society.
Programme learning outcomes
The beneficiaries of the programme are expected to be graduates who:
- Think critically and analyze issues in everyday life toward transformation and spiritual conversion;
- Respond to contemporary realities in light of a sound biblical perception of these realities;
- Appreciate and acknowledge the impact of sound human and theological knowledge;
- Attend to personal faith development in order to effectively implement the New
- Have skills towards economic and social development within their personal, community and national life;
- have disciplines of hard work, planning, conservation and team work
- Exercise skills in transformative organizational leadership in communities and society.
General and specific regulations
The common regulations approved by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE) will be upheld.
Eligibility for admissions
Applicants for admission to the TEF Diploma Programme include any Person who is emotionally fit and meets the following academic entrance criteria:
- Those applicants who meet the entrance requirements of at least five credits at one sitting of
“O” level examinations, including English and Religious Education as an added advantage;
- A minimum of at least one (1) principal pass at “A” level or its equivalent,
- Should have passed the mature age entry examinations taken from NCHE recognized institutions,
- Should have a credit certificate in a Bridging programme from a recognized institution.
The course leading to the award of a Diploma in TEF is a two (2) year programme with a minimum of one hundred and twelve credits (112 CU). Each year consists of two (2) semesters of at least seventeen (17) weeks each, after which a successful candidate is awarded a Diploma in Transformative Education and Faith. While this diploma program is intense, students will have easier access to a Bachelor Degree because some credits may be transferable toward that degree.
Thereafter, the superiors should allow the TEF students (Sisters) to go for Nine (9) months training in methodology in Namugongongo Spiritual Formation Center such that they are able to deliver, give workshops, seminars and teach in case one is assigned in the formation house. This was to help lift the standard of religious women to become women religious theologians to help train others for formation (go for further studies in theology).
The first TEF cohort were twenty-one (21) with 19 religious women and two religious brothers of which one passed on (died) total remaining were 20 who completed their Diploma in TEF program 17 successfully completed and graduated while three are still sorting out issues of retake and supplementary with courses. Out of the seventeen (17) graduates, three were send to Hekima University in Nairobi for Bachelors in theology.
The second cohort of TEF we had 18 religious women enrolled for the programme, out which two passed on (died) remaining sixteen (16) continuing with online learning due to the Covid19 pandemic.
AACSS is looking forward to enrolling the third cohort only if the superiors are ready to pay half of the tuition as AACSS covers the half of the tuition. This will effect when the University students report onsite for all academic learning activities.
Activities of AACSS –Uganda
- Coordinating Training programs e.g. Counselor Training Program (CTP) and Transformative Education and Faith (TEF) program
- Organizing Workshops and giving workshops and seminars
- Supervision and follow up of the trainees in the training program (spiritual accompaniment)
- Carrying on Sensitization programs